It’s freaking cold out.
To the point where my writing buddy (a.k.a. Coach the Husky) actually turned around and pulled me back to the house yesterday because he was too cold. The husky was too cold. As my friend Greg would say: madness.
On the plus side, this stopped me from heading to Bulk Barn to get a bag (or three) of candy. See, I got my edits back for Triad Blood, and it turns out that whilst I edit, I also snack. I think I was vaguely aware of that before the vanishing of the third of a bag of chocolate covered raisins and quarter bag of crisps, but now I know it for sure. Also, I’m pretty much out of junk food in the house, and I’ve got about a half-day left of work ahead of me so… We’ll see how that goes.
What was really cute were the many people who suggested I pick up mini carrots, celery, and some low-fat dip. Y’all are sweet, but it’s cold, and the last thing I want is cold vegetables. I want sugar and fat. But do feel good about telling me to do the healthy thing. You’re good people for it.
Maybe I’ll make a one-cup brownie when I finish today.
And, a reminder from last week: the Bold Strokes Books website relaunched a short while ago, and it’s so pretty! There continues to be a store-wide 10% off sale on current available titles, so it’s the perfect time to indulge (that includes Light being 10% off). Among the various anthologies in which I have stories being on sale, Bold Strokes Books has some even deeper discounted: the paperbacks of quite a few are $4.99 to begin with (!) and a further 10% off. To whit:
- Blood Sacraments, Wings, Erotica Exotica, and Raising Hell are all $4.99 US regularly in paperback, and that means $4.49 right now. So if you wanted to read all the Triad stories before the novel it’s a really good time (I should point out the e-books for some of those titles are on sale for even less!)
- Riding the Rails, Sweat, Tricks of the Trade, and The Dirty Diner are likewise on sale, same price. This is the cheapest I’ve ever seen them, and I’m stoked to be able to pass that on to y’all.
I’ve paused on Triad Soul until I get Triad Blood edits finished. I’ll have to do some catch-up post-editing, but that’s fine. The turnaround window for edits is always narrow, so I knew this was likely to occur. Also, editing means brownies. So, no contest.
The Short Stuff
Huge thank you to everyone who shared, commented, posted, and/or “liked” my Q&A with Tom Cardamone last Sunday. It was received well, and is the first in a long stream of them coming your way. I enjoy the format, and for those authors who are waiting for their questions, I’ll be sending most of them over the next week or so—I’ve got more than thirty of you interested, which is fantastic, but it means I’ve got quite a bit of prep-work ahead of me.
I still haven’t submitted anything for January yet, which is making me twitch. I’ve got eleven days left.
Open Calls I Know About (and find tempting)…
- Friends of Hyakinthos – Fantastical gay male-themed stories set during the time of Ancient Greece or involving Hellenism in later cultures, deadline January 30th, 2016.
- Theory of Love – Pocket protectors and sexy nerds? Sci-Fi (and/or geeky) Romance, Torquere Press, Deadline: February 15th, 2016.
- Less Than Dead – Tales of zombies, be they the enemy, the ally, or something else entirely, Less than Three Press, Deadline: February 28th, 2016.
- Men at Work – Tales of erotic gay workplace romance, JMS Books, Deadline: February 29th, 2016.
- Transcendent – Short, speculative fiction published in 2015 (ie: reprints) that features transgender characters, Lethe Press, Deadline: March 31st, 2016.
- Gents: Steamy Tales from the Age of Steam – Gay male erotica set during the Victorian/Edwardian era, Deadline: May 1st, 2016.
- Magic and Mayhem – Mage/cyborg or tattoo artist/soldier stories (very specific, but it’s for a charity anthology, details at the link), Gay Romance Northwest, Deadline: March 31st, 2016.
- Novella Call – The Book Smugglers, Deadline: May 30th, 2016.
- Animal Magnetism – Tales of men drawn together over their love of animals, JMS Books, Deadline: July 31st, 2016.