My face is more-or-less fixed now, so that’s a good thing. And I have a few new experiences I can maybe use in fiction some day. Did you want a blow-by-blow of what it feels like to have a pin nudged back into place in your face and an infection drained around it while you’re high on nitrous and under the influence of six jabs of local?
Maybe not then.
Suffice it to say, Monday I was pretty much wrecked, and Tuesday wasn’t much better. I’ll be back on track again soon.
In all seriousness, though, I did have some great ideas while I was buzzing. That’s not a suggestion people should buzz to get ideas, but rather if you’re having surgery and you’re buzzing, maybe bring a pencil and some paper.
Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
Got nowhere this week. See above, re: face fixing.
Of Echoes Born / Short Pieces
I scribbled more for “Pentimento” this week (especially while under the influence of nitrous, so we’ll see how quality that turns out to be), and I have also almost finished putting in the other reprints into the file (I wasn’t good at keeping files way-back-when, and some of the stories I submitted earlier in my career I had to retype from the actual book).
Almost done that.
Open Calls for Submission
Lastly, Writing Wednesday updates include my list off all the various open calls for submission I’ve found and/or am trying to write for. If you know of any others, by all means do drop them in the comments and I’ll add them to the list. If this is helpful for people other than myself, it’s even better.
Totals: January: 6 submissions (4 reprints, 2 new), 1 acceptance; February: 1 submission (1 new).
- Chicken Soup for the Soul – Various titles, various themes, various deadlines, 1,200 word count limit.
- Clarkesworld – Currently open for art, non-fiction, and short story submissions.
- Cast of Wonders – Young adult short fiction market, open to story submissions up to 6,000 words.
- MM Superpowers anthology – This isn’t the only thing open at Totally Bound (you can click through for the full list), but this is the one I’m eyeing; deadline February 28th, 2017; 10k-15k word count limit, with erotic content.
- Wet Summer Nights – White collar/blue collar, cross-town, wrong side of the tracks lovers theme; Mischief Corner Books; 10k-18k word count; deadline March 31st, 2017.
- Alice Unbound – Think Alice in Wonderland, only speculative and may embrace fabulist, weird, myth, SF, fantasy, steampunk, horror, etc. Exile Editions; Submission window: February 1st – May 31st, 2017; 2k – 5k word count limit; Canadians and ex-pat Canadians only.