Before anything else? I have a freebie! I have no idea for how long, but right now In Memoriam, my wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey gay romance novella is free on kindle. If you don’t have it, now is a great time to nab it. I promise it’s not as depressing as it may sound, what with the whole “dying” thing. It’s still a romance, and romance has rules.
Okay, that said, confession time: I’ve been a pretty bad blogger (and writer) of late. I’ve got only one excuse, really: renovations. Trying to write has been a disaster as a group of workers rip the side and roof off our house to replace it, in no small part because of the noise (and in no smaller part because of the dog who is not okay with the noise). I’ve adjusted all my writing goals to be post-renovation, and I’m considering any forward motion during the event itself to be a positive. But wow. Loud and distracting to say the last.
Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
I still haven’t met with the high school pride club. I’m not going to lie, it’s a disappointment, and though I’ve interacted with administration and the kids, they just stopped answering, so I guess I should take that for what it is: no permission from the school. I’ve reached out one more time after the silence, but…
I’ll suck it up and move on.
Of Echoes Born
I’ve ground to a halt here, but I’m trying to get back into writing mode. I’m quite lucky in that I’ve been reading a lot of good fiction lately, which tends to put me back on track and get me writing. I just wish I had better output when I write in the evenings, as right now, renovation during the day means nothing is happening.
Open Calls for Submission
Every Wednesday I try to include my list off all the various open calls for submission I’ve found and/or am trying to write for. If you know of any others, by all means do drop them in the comments and I’ll add them to the list. If this is helpful for people other than myself, it’s even better.
Tallies for May: Nothing yet. (I know, I know).
The year thus far: January was: 6 submissions (4 reprints, 2 new), 1 acceptance; in February was bare minimum: 1 submission (1 new); March brought 1 rejection, and 1 submission (new); April say 1 submission (new) and 1 acceptance (woo-hoo!).
- Chicken Soup for the Soul – Various titles, various themes, various deadlines, 1,200 word count limit.
- Clarkesworld – Currently open for art, non-fiction, and short story submissions.
- Cast of Wonders – Young adult short fiction market, open to story submissions up to 6,000 words.
- Totally Entwined – Many calls, various dates and lengths.
- Alice Unbound – Think Alice in Wonderland, only speculative and may embrace fabulist, weird, myth, SF, fantasy, steampunk, horror, etc. Exile Editions; Submission window: February 1st – May 31st, 2017; 2k – 5k word count limit; Canadians and ex-pat Canadians only.
- Myths, Moons, and Mayhem – M/M/M ménage; Deadline June 1st, 2017; 4k – 6k word count limit.
- The Witching Hour – Mythical creature visitation theme; deadline July 30th, 2017; 10k to 40k word count limit.