Outside a hospital in Ottawa, a heartbeat returns long enough for a good-bye. Downtown, a man steps into shadows of the past to help those who have died find their way free from their memories. In Niagara, an icewine vintage is flavored with the truth of what happened on a dark evening of betrayal. In British Columbia, the snow itself can speak to someone who knows how to listen.
The past echoes through these queer tales—sometimes soft enough to grant a second chance at love, and other times loud enough to damn a killer—never without leaving those who’ve heard it unchanged.
Of Echoes Born is the first short story collection from Lambda Literary Award finalist ’Nathan Burgoine.
Available now in e-book and print from Bold Strokes Books, and from your e-tailer and retailer of choice. Check Indiebound for a local brick and mortar near you, or try Bookshop.org or Books2Read for your options. Edited by Jerry L. Wheeler, and cover art by Inkspiral Design.
Content Warnings: Cheating, Child Abuse (off-page), Death, Dementia (main character POV), Gay Bashing (off-page), Homophobia, Infertility, Miscarriage, Murder, Parental disowning of queer child, Sexual Assault (off-page).
Short Fiction Solo Releases
Russ is on a deadline. Okay, so nobody else knows about it, but the thing is, he and the ‘Rear Admiral’ (the crowning glory of the High Seas Anal Pleasure Set) are at a standoff, and he’s running out of time to achieve his goal before he meets the real-world inspiration for the toy face-to-face.
The thing is? The ‘Rear Admiral,’ like everything else about Matteo Rossi—a.k.a. the former Dom Masters—is big. A wine tasting party, some snooty friends, and a brief interlude on a balcony later, and Russ and Matt have an actual conversation. A conversation that opens the door to something bigger.
Can one average nurse and his way-more-than-average crush make it work? Russ figures there’s one way to find out: go big or go home.
Content Warnings: Erotic content, Sex Toy use and discussion, Some sex-worker negative comments related to porn star work from secondary character, On-page use of f-word (reclaimed, not as slur), Mention of Dementia, Drinking (wine tastings).
Short Fiction Anthology Publications
Note: the six short stories listed in bold are included in my first collection Of Echoes Born (above), from Bold Strokes Books, alongside six new, previously unpublished stories.
- “Heart,” in the Cleis Press anthology Fool for Love.
- “Cakewalk,” in the MLR Press anthology I Do, Two! (Now out of print).
- “Hometown Boy,” in the Rebel Satori Press anthology Saints & Sinners 2011: New Fiction from the Festival.
- “Keeping the Faith,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Men of the Mean Streets.
- “Filth,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Night Shadows: Queer Horror.
- “Last Call,” in the Harrow Press anthology Mortis Operandi.
- “Old Age, Surrounded by Loved Ones,” in the Grand Central Press anthology This is How You Die: A Machine of Death Anthology.
- “Struck,” in the Cleis Press anthology Foolish Hearts.
- “Sky Blue,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Saints & Sinners 2013: New Fiction from the Festival.
- “Lesser Evil,” in the Northwest Press anthology The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy.
- “The Psychometry of Snow,” originally published in the Bear Bones Books anthology Bears of Winter, now out of print, but reprinted in Of Echoes Born.
- “Entangled,” in the Mischief Corner Books anthology Discovery: QSF’s Second Annual Flash Fiction Contest, (Now out of print).
- “Range of Motion,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Men in Love: M/M Romance.
- “Sweet William,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Saints & Sinners 2016: New Fiction from the Festival.
- “Conceptually Speaking,” in the Mischief Corner Books anthology Flight: QSF’s Third Annual Flash Fiction Contest, (Now out of print).
- “Frost,” in the Lethe Press anthology Wilde Stories 2017.
- “First Shift,” in the Mischief Corner Books anthology Renewal: QSF’s Fourth Annual Flash Fiction Contest.
Short Fiction Series
The Triad Stories
- “Three,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Blood Sacraments, also available as an e-short here.
- “Intercession,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Wings: Subversive Gay Angel Erotica.
- “Possession,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Erotica Exotica: Tales of Tales of Sex, Magic.
- “Necessary Evils,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Raising Hell: Demonic Gay Erotica.
- “Bound,” in the Beautiful Dreamer Press anthology Not Just Another Pretty Face. (Note: this story is set in the same universe as the other Triad stories, but doesn’t involve Luc, Anders, or Curtis. The characters in this story make their first appearance in Triad Blood, however.)
The Fuca Stories
- “Wind and Tree,” in the Bear Bones Books anthology Tales from the Den.
- “Time and Tide,” in the Lethe Press anthology The Touch of the Sea.
- “Aiming to Please,” in the Lethe Press anthology Tented, (Now out of print).
- “Line of Sight,” in the Cleis Press anthology Love Between Men (a reprint of Afternoon Pleasures).
- “Elsewhen,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Riding the Rails.
- “In the Doghouse,” and “Shutout,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Sweat: Gay Jock Erotica.
- “The Finish,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Dirty Diner: Gay Erotica on the Menu.
- “Transposition,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Tricks of the Trade: Magical Gay Erotica.
- “Slice of Pi,” was originally published in the Bear Bones Books anthology The Biggest Lover, now out of print.
- “Vanilla,” in the Lethe Press anthology Threesome: Him, Him, and Me.
- “Masks,” in http://www.thenastymag.com’s Nasty: Fetish Fights Back, (Now out of print).
- “Leap,” in the Bold Strokes Books anthology Boys of Summer.
- “First Touch,” in the Arsenal Pulp Press anthology I Like it Like That.
- “It Could Happen to You,” in the TouchWood Editions anthology A Family By Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships.
- “Rain,” in the Glitterwolf Press anthology A Letter to My Sixteen Year Old Self.
- “Limit,” in the Vine Leaves Press collection Equality: What Do You Think About When You Think of Equality?
- “The Spirit of Giving,” in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Random Acts of Kindness.